Tuesday, May 6, 2008

One is not born a woman
Rather one becomes a woman
Simone de Beauvoir


What does it mean to be a woman? What does it mean to be seen as a woman? How do I exist under the title of woman?

I am a woman who was a girl in the 1970.s, a teenager in the 1980,s, a young woman in the 1990's and in keeping in accordance to the specific titles given at one's times of life, approaching middle age in the 2000,s. (if i sound resentful i dont mean to)_

During the 1970's I was often referred to as a 'tom-boy', since unlike my little sister who liked playing ' houses' with her dolls and going to great lengths in organising tea-party's with home made plasticine fairy cakes baked straight from the plastic mock oven in I liked to wear a cowboy a hat and whilst walking around woolies with my mum during her regular saturday afternoon shopping jaunts, i would trail behind her so that she wouldn't see me practice my bow-legged swagger courtesy of 'Wild Bill Hickock' as depicted in Calamity Jane that I was beginning to master to a tee.

My mum well aware of my cowboy fantasies (that of wanting to be one and not shag one) that sometimes morphed into another bow-legged fav',' Starsky ' (from Starsky and Hutch) left me alone to explore and grapple with this thing if gender identification.

With these photographs my aim is to explore cliches of female identity , the 'feminine' of the female as commodified by the fashion industry and the like. Female as provocateur contrived by the photographer who in turn is sold to any number of marketing agencies,The woman in my images are present. I have deliberately chosen strong and confronting poses to highlight the presence in what is normally absents

Take a peep!


No comments:

Post a Comment